Letters Before the Wedding Day


It is almost midnight, Dad, as I write this to you.

... It is the last thing on my list, there's nothing else to do.
Tomorrow is my wedding day, and plans are all complete.
I know there was so much to do, and you and Morn are beat.

I want to write this letter, and I saved it for the last.
And as I write these words to you, I'm thinking of the past.

All those years as I grew up, the great times that we had.
And how I am so lucky, that I have you for my Dad.
As I recall the memories, from deep within my mind.
I know that you were busy, but you always took the time.
To give your full attention to me, when I'd come to you.
You made me feel important, in whatever I would do.

In elementary school, you never missed our little plays.
You made sure you fit it in your schedule on those days.
In junior high, I made the choir, and you were always there.
Always, early, in the front row, in a middle chair.
In school, whatever I would try, I had your full support,
The only rule, was that I always got a good report.

You taught me dedication, in whatever I would do.
And once committed, you would always help me see it through.
Then on our vacations, you would always plan the best.
Each year was an adventure, being better than the rest.
You would plan for weeks ahead, exciting everyone.
Anticipation of vacation, even became fun.

Dad, you did so many things, making my life better.
All the things you've done for me, could not fit in this letter.
All the times and all the things, etched in my memory.
You are the perfect model, of what every Dad should be.
Tomorrow is my wedding, to a very special man.
But, I just want to write these words, so you will understand.

You've given me so very much, my words could not express.
How very much you are a part, of all my happiness.
My love for life and happiness, and everything I do,
Is all a clear reflection of the love, I've learned from you.
I want to tell you Daddy, because of your special touch.
My life has been so wonderful, I love you very much.

Love,
Your Daughter

Letter To Daughter Dear Daughter,
Tomorrow is your wedding day, and everything is ready.
It's hard for me to write these words, and keep my fingers steady.
I am so nervous, thinking of so much to do that day.
In 12 short hours, I will give my little girl away.
I have so much to say to you, before we walk the aisle.
So, I will write this letter, even though it's not my style.
I thought it would be easier, to write the words to you.
Then I would not forget my thoughts, as I so often do.
It's hard for me to realize, that you are twenty-one.
It seems like only yesterday, your life had just begun.
I remember your first steps, and when you started walking.
And, "Daddy" was your first word, when you finally started talking.
I remember coming home, from work at five, each day,
Then you would jump into my arms, and always you would say,
"Mommy, Daddy's home from work, now, we all can eat!"
Dinner time with you and Mom, would make my day complete.
After dinner, you would always show me something new.
Something you had made for me, or something you would do.
Then you went to school, and started growing up so fast,
The little homemade arts and crafts, became things from the past.
Becoming independent, as you reached your teenage years.
Learning how to deal with life, and overcome your fears.
My little girl was growing up, and then I learned one thing,
No longer could I keep her safely, underneath my wing.
I had to let you venture out, discover all that's new.
I think it was the hardest thing, I ever had to do.
Many men can tell you, as a Father it can be,
Scary, when you let your Daughter, finally be free.
You teach them right, you teach them wrong, your wisdom you impart.
Then you set them free, and let them follow their own heart.
You guide them, and you hope and pray, the choices that they make
Create a life of happiness, with every step they take.
So on this night, before I give my little girl away,
I have written down the words, and from my heart I'll say.
You've grown into a woman, from that little girl of mine.
And, I am proud to be your Father, you turned out just fine.
In my mind, I'll always see my Daughter running wild.
Playing all the little games, when she was just a child.
But, tomorrow when I walk the aisle, there on my side.
Will be my proudest moment, with my Daughter as a bride.
I love you more than life itself, and I can only pray.
As, I march you down the aisle, on your wedding day.
You will be complete and happy, when you say, "I do."
Because you've made my life a joy, and Daughter, "I love you!"
Love,
Dad

by: Poppy, Poppy's Poetry Page

No comments: